July 21, 2011

Emotions

Joy, sorrow, elation, loneliness, happiness, love... all of these are emotions  we all must face on a daily basis.  They are very important and shape who we are and who we will be.  I know I am an emotional eater.  I see any of the aforementioned emotions as a reason to eat.  It ties back into addiction and behavior.  Just like an alcoholic will find any and all reasons to eat I will find reasons to eat.  I eat when I've had a good day, I eat when I've had a bad day, I eat when I am lonely, I eat when I am sad, I eat for revenge ( When I was becoming a teenager my mom went on a health kick and there was no more fast food.  Guess what happened when I was able to drive and had my own money... FAST FOOD!!)  I eat!  For so long food has been the center of my world.  When I go somewhere, like a party or get together, and I find out there will be food I get excited.  I don't get excited about seeing friends and family I'm excited about the food! Notice I use present tense here.  It is still a struggle.  I have to make a conscious effort NOT to think of food all the time.  It still takes effort NOT to eat emotionally.  I still have all the same feelings.  My emotions don't stop because I have decided to get healthy.  On the contrary, if anything my emotions are more intense now because I cannot hide from them, I have to feel them.  No matter what it is, joy, sorrow, shame, guilt, elation... I have to feel it and deal with it not hide in a tub of ice cream or a bag of chips!  Sometimes it is painful and sometimes it sucks but in the end it will be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment