July 8, 2011

BMI



Body mass index is a tool used to assess a person's weight.  It is usually calculated based on your weight and height but is not actually a measure of percent body fat (centers for disease control and prevention).  The BMI consists of a range of numbers:  a BMI < 18.5 is underweight  18.5-24.9 is a normal weight range 25-29.9 is over weight and a BMI >30 is obese/morbidly obese.  Guess where my BMI falls... around 42.  Soundly in the obese/morbidly obese category.  Even when I get to my goal of 194 pounds according to BMI I would still be considered obese with a BMI of 31.3 :(  But, at least it is a goal and an almost 70 pound weight loss is nothing the sneeze at!  I would really like to see how I FEEL at 194 pounds before I let the fact that my BMI would still be obese get me discouraged.  Weight loss is not all about numbers all the time.  If you want to know what your BMI is you can find out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment