July 19, 2011

Distractions

OK, I'm writing this without a rough draft here so bear with me :)  Originally I was going to do another "D" post talking about Denial but then I thought Distractions would be better and tie Denial to the previous post of Defeat.  
Distractions are something I have to deal with every day.  When I say distractions I'm talking about anything that takes my focus off my ultimate goal of healthy living.  Over the past week I have had to handle several distractions.  The first distraction I faced was that of being out of town and away from my normal Curves location.  Curves gives travel passes so I was able to go to another Curves while I was out of town, luckily.  The biggest hurdle with that was that it was NEW.  New people, new lay out, etc... and it was a change and I HATE change, most of you know enough about me to know that first hand!  However, I went 4 times last week just like I am suppose too :)  Last Friday I had another distraction when my Aunt June took me, my son, and my grandmother to Burger King for lunch.  I caved, totally and got a Whopper with Medium fries and Coke.  Now, a good part about this is that I got a Medium and not a KING size and I went afterward and worked out.  Really Friday-Sat was a rough time and I went over my calorie count at myfitnespal.com both days.  Sunday I was back on track though and I went swimming which was a great combo of family time and exercise! :)  Today, another distraction when I decided to go to Zumba at Curves.  It was difficult because it was only the 2nd Zumba class I have gone to at Curves and I was easily distracted by the other ladies and how bad I thought I was doing.  When I stopped focusing on everyone else and just focused on what I was doing though it was much better!  Imagine that!
I face distractions every day when I leave my house or watch TV or even get on line because I am constantly bombarded with images of food.  Either it is Fast Food or Food Network, which I love to watch but it never fails to make me hungry!, or some sort of food commercial etc... and this is where I have to practice discipline.  Look another D!  I have to have enough discipline to not go to my kitchen and get a snack.  I have to have enough discipline to get off my couch and go to the gym.  Discipline can help me overcome all my distractions.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not a distraction to you, am I Nikki? Huh? Nikki. Nikki! Am I a distraction? Huh? Am I? ;) I try not to let myself get distra- hey, I like the swirlies of your blog background! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you are not a distraction Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just poking at you, you know! I am proud of you and your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I know. I couldn't do it without friends like you for support!

    ReplyDelete