January 16, 2011

Sticks and Stones

I've been thinking a great deal lately about how much words can hurt and how one carelessly said comment can ruin a week's worth of building up self esteem and body image.  Here are some examples from my life:  You'd have a really pretty face, if it were a bit thinner (in college), you sound out of breath (several times after walking up a flight of stairs), Are you Ok? (people ask me this often because I guess I look like I'm limping a lot?), You are getting a little chubby, there is some pie in the kitchen (years ago from my grandma).  Some of these things were said by acquaintances, friends, family, and coworkers.  I know, or at least I would hope, that these things were not said with malice.  The effect was the same though.  It hurt.  I am an emotional eater.  I eat when I'm sad, happy, depressed, mad, bored, and hurt.  I know I need to work on this and redirect my energy.  I have to find a better way to handle my emotions and deal with them with no food involved.  The last time I experienced hurt I failed at this goal, I went to KFC.  But I have been doing better on the boredom front!  I have done well with my no food after 8pm rule ( I had desert after 8 tonight but I was really hungry and not bored and I ate healthy not junk!).  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment